The history of Kluge family
|In the second half of the 18th century textile makers and dyer craftsmen flowed largely from the west of Europe to the east to fill the labour shortage being generated there. This was the way how Kluge family arrived into our country from Soraubo, Saxony (today Żary, Poland) in 1777. Carl Friedrich Kluge settled down with his family in Sárvár and in 1783 he founded his Hungarian company. Three years later he moved to Pápa. At that time there were 4-5 ‘kékfestő’ workshops operating – it proves the fact that there was huge the demand for ‘kékfestő’ – but it was only Kluge family who could rise production into manufacturing level.|
Due to the successful upturn significant developments were carried out in the second half of the 1800s.
The workshop’s ground floor with 4 dying baths was extended with 16 baths küpa room and the so-called ‘black kitchen’ and the covered winter driers were housed there.
They formed the pattern making room (Hungarian: mintázó szoba) with a laboratory and another room for Perrotine-machine upstairs.
The attic housed the huge, shuttered drier and the balcony drier opening from here. The small factory building being finished at the beginning of 1900s is also a proof of the continuous growth, the machines of steam mangle and starch were placed. Kluge family was operating successfully through 7 generations in the workshop, where there was production until 1956. The building with the equipment received National Heritage protection in 1954 and Kékfestő Museum was opened in the former factory building and equipment as the first textile museum of the country in August in 1962.